Cooking a Spicy Tale
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 Vendhaya Kuzhambu *

* vendhayam --> Methi/Fenugreek

This is a nice recipe coz I had much fun making it and The Mr had his while rubbing his ever-growing tummy in satisfaction. It reminded me of that old lesson in my Class 4(Or was it later?) English textbook - The Stone Soup.

Methi - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds /Urad dal for seasoning
Split chana dal - 2tsp
Toor dal - 2tsp
Onion small - 2
Tomatoes - 2
Tamarind - size of lemon
Sambhar Powder
Turmeric Powder

Now for my improvisations, if I may call so :p

The huge mistake I did was in the amount of chana/toor dal and methi. Being the over-zealous person that I am, I added almost 1/4 cup of dal and 1 huge spoon of methi. This methi ain't that great to bite into, so if youwant a really awesome 'kuzhambu'just for 'sasthram sake' add 6(My lucky number. You can use any under 10!) exact methi seeds into the pan. Technically, it is 'methi kuzhambu' but then it needn't really have any :D The modern day "stone soup".

And after I added sambhar powder, it didn't really taste that great. So I chipped in a 1/4 tsp each of Puli Kuzhambu powder and Rasam powder :)


Posted by The Cookie :: 6:47 PM :: 6 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------